Voting Frequently Asked Questions

What is “EEC

EEC (formerly the GAB) stands for the Elections and Ethics Commissions. EEC is the state agency responsible for coordinating elections and ethics law.

How can I register to vote?
You can register to vote in at least three ways:

  1. By mail. Were you registered as a Wisconsin Voter before?
    1. No Visit the EEC website for a Voter Guide or Registration Form or contact your local municipal clerk’s office and ask for a Voter Registration Form. Follow instructions carefully and mail it back before the deadline. It must be postmarked at least 20 days before the election.
    2. Yes It will probably be easier to enter your name and date of birth at MyVote . You can check your voter status and fill out a form online, if needed.
  2. In person at your city, town or village clerk’s office. You can do so until 5 p.m. on the Friday before Election Day.
  3. At the polls on Election Day.

What documentation do I need to register to vote?
You need:

  1. You will need proof of residence. A Proof of Residence Document is a document that proves where you live in Wisconsin. Acceptable forms of proof of residence are listed at the EEC .
  2. A processing number. You must provide your Wisconsin Driver’s License or Wisconsin ID number if you have one. If you don’t have one, you will be asked to use the last four digits of your Social Security number.

Do I need a photo ID to vote?
Yes. A valid Wisconsin Driver’s License or ID or another approved photo ID is necessary. Check Bring It Wisconsin for more information.

Where do I vote if I moved recently?
You must have lived at your current address for 28 consecutive days to vote at that address. If you have lived at your current address for less than 28 days, then you should vote at your previous Wisconsin address.

How do I vote absentee?
Information on voting absentee and filling out an absentee ballot can be found at the My Vote Wisconsin website or by contacting your local city/village/town clerk. You can request a ballot:

  1. By mail. The application must be received by the clerk’s office no later than 5:00 PM on the Thursday before the election.
  2. By e-mail or fax. The request must be made no later than 5:00 PM on the Thursday before the election.
  3. In person at your city, town or village clerk’s office. In-person absentee voting runs for two weeks before an election, ending at 5 p.m. or the close of business (whichever is later) on the Friday before the election.

Do I have to sign the poll book?
Voters must sign the poll book unless they are unable due to disability. Two poll workers must verify that you are unable to sign due to disability for you to be exempt from signing the poll book.
Challenge If two poll workers do not agree to provide the exemption, you will be asked to complete a challenged ballot. Challenged ballots will not be counted under all circumstances and will never be counted unless the challenge is resolved (you must provide proof of inability promptly after the election. Contact 844-DIS-VOTE or 866-OUR-VOTE for assistance.

Are there accessible voting machines?
Yes. Federal law requires that every polling place has voting equipment that allows every individual – including voters with disabilities – to vote privately and independently. Advocates urge voters to use the accessible voting machines when voting to ensure they are up and running for others in your community. Concerned if your polling place is accessible? Find out more at the Wisconsin Disability Vote Coalition: Wisconsin Disability Vote Coalition

Can I vote if I have a guardian?
Maybe. You should check your guardianship papers. A person’s right to vote can only be taken away by a judge. A person under an active power of attorney for healthcare can generally still vote. Some people lose the right to vote when a guardian is appointed simply because no one thought about letting them keep the right to vote. A person with a guardian can ask the court at any time to restore any right, including the right to vote. Disability Rights Wisconsin has more information on this here (pdf).

Can I vote if I have a felony conviction?
Maybe. In Wisconsin, your voting rights are restored after your sentence, including any term of imprisonment and supervised release, has been completed. You should be informed in writing when your voting rights have been restored.

Where can I get further assistance?
Your Center for Independent Living provides information about elections and voting to many people. Another resource is Disability Rights Wisconsin (DRW). DRW has information and may be able to personally help any person having voting trouble related to their disability.

To reach DRW’s toll-free Voting Rights Line, call 800/928-8778 (voice) or 888/758-6049 (TTY). Phones are answered between 8:30 and 5:00 most weekdays, and from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM on Election Days.

For more information please visit:
Wisconsin Disability Vote Coalition
Wisconsin Voter Public Access

Rev. Feb. 2017